Today is national what day? Like we need an excuse to drink wine! These international wine days are just another reason to celebrate and open your favourite wine. Seems like a good excuse to me. Here are some fun wine holidays that are worth celebrating. Check out these wine holidays.
International Wine Days & Wine Holidays
How Did Wine Holidays Come To Be?
I’m really not sure if any of these are actually official wine days and are likely a holiday started by an individual or an organization, but that’s okay with me.
International Wine Days By Month
I never need an excuse to drink wine but just in case you do, I have compiled a list of the International Wine Days by month.
February International Wine Days
- February 1 – Furmint Day Furmint is a white Hungarian wine grape variety that is most noted widely grown in the Tokaj-Hegyalja wine region where it is used to produce single-varietal dry wines as well as being the principal grape in the better known Tokaji dessert wines. #FurmintDay
- February 27 – Open That Bottle NightTime to crack open that special bottle of wine. It is the perfect excuse to open that special bottle you have been saving. #DrinkWineDay
March International Wine Days
- March 3 – Mulled Wine Day Yes, I know. It seems more fitting to be celebrating this during Christmas. #MulledWineDay; #MulledWine
- March 13 – Riesling Day #RieslingBirthday; #RieslingDay
April International Wine Days
- April 17th – Malbec Day #MalbecWorldDay; #WorldMalbecDay; #MalbecDay
- April 23 – International Cava Day What is Cava? Cava is a sparkling wine made in Spain. Every day can be sparking wine day but here is another reason to pop open the bubbly. April 23rd is San Jordi day in Spain.
- April 30 – International Viogner Day – #InternationalViognierDay
May International Wine Days
- May 7: International Sauvignon Blanc DayThis official day originated from the Wines of New Zealand where Sauvignon Blanc is the country’s most important grape. #SauvignonBlancDay; #SauvBlancDay
- May 9th: Moscato DayA great day to try this Italian wine.
- May 27: Chardonnay Day Did you know that the village of Chardonnay, located in the northern Maconnais, gave its name to this famous grape variety and that in Bourgogne, Chardonnay makes up 51% of the vineyards? #ChardonnayDay #InternationalChardonnayDay
- May 24th: Anniversary of the Judgement of Paris Get to know the day that the United States finally made its mark in the wine world.
- May 25th: National Wine DayMay 26: World Sherry Day Have you tried Sherry before? Sherry is a fortified wine made from white grapes that are grown near the city of Jerez de la Frontera in Andalusia, Spain.
June International Wine Days
- June 13th: National Rosé Day It is perfect to be celebrating Rosé Day in June, the perfect weather to be enjoying rosé wine.
- June 20th: Drink Chenin Blanc Day
- June 21st: Lambrusco Day Another Italian bubby day. #WorldLambruscoDay #LambruscoDay
- June 24: International Rosé Day It’s a special wine that gets two days of celebration.
- June 25: National Croatian Wine Day – now is your time to try some wine from Croatian Indigenous grapes
July International Wine Days
- July 19 – 25: Prosecco Week It seems appropriate for this bubbly to get an entire week of celebration. Happy Prosecco drinking.
- July 22 Fourth Thursday of July: Shiraz Day
August International Wine Days
- August 1st – 5th: Albariño Week
- August 4th: National White Wine Day Chill your favourite bottle of white wine.
- August 18: Pinot Noir Day Pinot Noir is a perfect summer red. #PinotNoirDay
- August 28th: National Red Wine Day
September International Wine Days
- September 2 Thursday Before Labour Day: Cabernet Sauvignon Day #CabernetDay; #CabernetSauvignonDay
- September 17 (3rd Friday of September): International Grenache Day #GrenacheDay
October International Wine Days
- October 6 International Orange Wine Day
- October 9 (Second Saturday of October): Pinotage Day #PinotageDay
- October 23 World Champagne Day – #ChampagneDay; #WorldChampagneDay
- October 28 (Last Thursday in October): Carignan Day
November International Wine Days
- November 7th: Merlot Day #InternationalMerlotDay; #MerlotDay
- November 9th: Tempranillo Day #TempranilloDay; #InternationalTempranilloDay
- November 17: 3rd Wednesday of November: Zinfandel Day
- November 18: 3rd Thursday of November: Beaujolais Nouveau Day #BeaujolaisNouveauDay
- November 24th: Carménère Day #CarménèreDay
December International Wine Days
- December 4th: Cabernet Franc Day #CabFrancDay; #CabFranc; #CabernetFrancDay; #CabernetFranc
- December 5th: Prohibition Repeal Day
- December 20th: Sangria Day Yes, seems a bit odd to be drinking Sangria in December. Just go with it.
- December 31st: Champagne Day (aka NYE)
There truly couldn’t be a more perfect day to celebrate Champagne than New Year’s Eve. Cheers!